Latin Name : Apium graveolens
Celery is part of the Apiaceae family, which includes carrots, parsnips, parsley, and celeriac. Its crunchy stalks make the vegetable a popular low-calorie snack, and it may provide a range of health benefits.
– Celery contains a plant compound called apigenin, which plays a role in traditional Chinese medicine as an anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiviral, and antioxidant agent.
– Celery helps lose weight as it has a diuretic effect .
– It is recommended for the treatment of cardiovascular health.
– It is also recommended for digestion health or improvement, liver health, eye, skin, and cognitive health.
– Celery helps to manage diabetic symptoms, gives relief from asthma and migraine.
– It also helps to reduce blood pressure and blood cholesterol.
– Prevents urinary tract infections in female.
– Helps to reduce swelling and pain around the joints.
Celery leaves are frequently used in cooking to add a mild spicy flavor to foods.
1. They are suitable dried as a sprinkled on seasoning for use with baked, fried or roasted fish, meats and as part of a
blend of fresh seasonings suitable for use in soups and stews.
2. They may also be eaten raw, mixed into a salad or as a garnish.
To make an infusion, place 1-2 teaspoons of dried herb in a tea infuser or teapot or mug for each cup of tea you intend to brew. Cover with boiling water. Place on the lid (or cover your cup with a saucer).
Allow the mixture to steep for 10' to 15' minutes or overnight.
Then strain the tea and serve. Drink 1-3 cups of tea a day.
Celery is generally considered safe to use medicinally but high consumption may affect gastrointestinal function.
Celery belongs to a small group of foods that may cause a severe allergic reaction in some people and this might lead to a fatal anaphylactic shock. Avoid this herb in case yoy are allergic.
Also it should be avoided from patients with bladder inflammation or kidney injuries.
You should not use this herb if you take diuretics, anticoagulants or anticonvulsants.
In any case you should consult with your healthcare doctor before using it especially if you’re taking other medications or having health problems.