Latin Name : Allium Schoenoprasum
Chives are a nutrient-dense food. This means they are low in calories but high in beneficial nutrients like vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
– Chives help the body get rid of the harmful bacteria, yeast, and fungi in your intestinal tract that might otherwise hamper your digestion. The antibacterial properties of chives can help eliminate at least 30 strains of salmonella (which can cause intestinal distress).
– Chives contain vitamin K, a nutrient quite important for the bones. This vitamin helps maintain bone integrity and density.
– The numerous phytochemicals in chives can boost your immune system. Chives also contain selenium in trace amounts, which is another important mineral that strengthens immunity.
– Chives are good sources of choline, which is one important nutrient that aids proper sleep.
– The folic acid in chives is known for boosting the production of dopamine and serotonin, which are feel-good hormones that boost your mood.