Latin Name: Crataegus Monogyna
Hawthorn, or otherwise Crataegus Monogyna is known for its cardiotonic properties. Hawthorn’s cardioprotective action is due to the flavonoids, triterpenes and antioxidant amines it contains. The total complex of plant constituents is considered valuable as a remedy for those with circulatory and cardiac problems.
It is believed to regulate and support these systems and be beneficial to use in the following conditions:
- It could give relief from cramp-like symptoms.
- Mild congestive heart failure. Believed to increase cardiac output and increase the flow of blood through the coronary arteries.
- Arrhythmia (irregular heart beat) – Thought to counteract rhythm disturbances. High blood pressure – Believed to cause vasodilatation of peripheral blood vessels and lower blood pressure.
- Nervous Heart Disorders (palpitations) – Believed to have a sedative effect on the nervous system which may render it useful in heart conditions where the nerves are involved.
- Heart Weakness – as caused by infectious diseases e.g. pneumonia, scarlet fever and diphtheria. Is believed to restore and support heart function.
- Encourage concentration and memory function as it improves circulation of blood and oxygen to the brain