Latin Name : Dioscorea Villosa
Origin Country: Mexico
Wild yam (Dioscorea villosa L.) is a vine that’s native to North America. It’s also known by several other names, including colic root, American yam, fourleaf yam.
This flowering plant is best known for its tuberous roots, which have been used in folk medicine since the 18th century to treat menstrual cramps, coughs, and upset stomachs.
– Wild yam root is most commonly used in alternative medicine as an alternative to estrogen replacement therapy for alleviating menopause symptoms, such as night sweats and hot flashes.
– It has traditionally been used to treat arthritis, which causes pain, swelling, and stiffness in your joints.
– It can reduce blood sugar levels and help prevent diabetes-induced kidney injury.
– It can Reduce cholesterol levels.
– Wild yam root may safeguard against or slow the progression of breast cancer .
– Diosgenin which includes in Wild Yam, may encourage the growth of new skin cells, which could have anti-aging effects.
To make an infusion, place 1-2 teaspoons of dried herb in a tea infuser or teapot or mug for each cup of tea you intend to brew. Cover with boiling water. Place on the lid (or cover your cup with a saucer).
Allow the mixture to steep for 10' to 15' minutes or overnight.
Then strain the tea and serve. Drink 1-3 cups of tea a day.
Add if you want honey, milk or lemon wedge for flavour.
Decoction: In a pot, bring 3 cups of cold water, 3-4 teaspoons of the to a simmer.
Gently decoct (simmer) for 30 minutes.
Strain out herbs and return liquid to pot. . Drink 1-3 cups of tea a day.
Add if you want one spoonful of honey at a time and dissolve over very low heat until you reach desired sweetness.
Wild yam is POSSIBLY SAFE when taken by mouth or applied to the skin. Some people have experienced nausea and irritation of the digestive tract when taking large doses.
The herb should be used with caution by those with with liver disease and it should also be avoided by people who have hereditary predisposition for cancer.
In any case you should consult with your healthcare doctor before using any herb especially if you’re taking other medications or having health problems.