Latin Name : Dioscorea Villoσa
Wild yam (Dioscorea villosa L.) is a vine that’s native to North America. It’s also known by several other names, including colic root, American yam, fourleaf yam.
This flowering plant is best known for its tuberous roots, which have been used in folk medicine since the 18th century to treat menstrual cramps, coughs, and upset stomachs.
– Wild yam root is most commonly used in alternative medicine as an alternative to estrogen replacement therapy for alleviating menopause symptoms, such as night sweats and hot flashes.
– It has traditionally been used to treat arthritis, which causes pain, swelling, and stiffness in your joints.
– It can reduce blood sugar levels and help prevent diabetes-induced kidney injury.
– It can Reduce cholesterol levels.
– Wild yam root may safeguard against or slow the progression of breast cancer .
– Diosgenin which includes in Wild Yam, may encourage the growth of new skin cells, which could have anti-aging effects.