Latin Name: Hyoscyamus Niger
The main active constituents of henbane are hyoscyamine (main ingredient), scopolamine and atropine, all highly toxic tropane alkaloids. The main healing properties of the herb are due to the sedative, analgesic and antispasmodic effect the substance hyoscyamine.
– Henbane was used specifically for pain in the urinary tract, especially in the case of kidney stones.
– The sedative and antispasmodic effect makes it a valuable remedy for Parkinson’s disease, where it relieves tremors and stiffness in the early stages of the disease.
– The herb has also been used for a toothache and nervous disorders such as mania and hysteria.
– The herb has been used as an herbal remedy for bronchitis because of its cough suppressant effect and the ability to clear the breathing passages from secretions.
– In modern medicine the substance hyocin is used to treat seasickness and as a calming agent in patients preparing for surgery.
There are no reviews yet.