Latin Name : Acorus calamus
- Stomach disorders: Sweet flag gives immediate relief in stomach problems. It clears a distended and uncomfortable stomach and also relieves headache associated with weak digestion. It clears flatulence and colic and increases appetite.
- Dysentery and diarrhoea: It is an inevitable ingredient for chronic diarrhoea and dysentery. Sweet flag is given as internal infusion.
- Asthma: This herbal medicine is highly beneficial in the treatment of asthma. It clears the phlegm matter from the bronchial passage.
- Whooping cough: Since sweet flag is antispasmodic it arrests severe bouts of cough.
- Mouth disorders: Sweet flag is useful to treat mouth ulcers, bad odours, coating and rawness of tongue causes by inflammation.
- Skin disorders: A paste of sweet flag can be applied externally in cases of skin disorders like eczema, ringworm and scabies. In Siddha system, it is used as disinfectant for vaginal infection and fetid discharges, especially after delivery of child.