Latin Name : Cynara Scolymus
Traditional European medicine has attributed several medicinal properties to artichoke. Artichoke leaves are low in fat while rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Particularly high in folate and vitamins C and K, they also supply important minerals, such as magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and iron.
– Artichoke has been used for liver diseases (eg hepatitis and jaundice).
– It is rich in inulin, a type of fiber that is marketed as a dietary supplement and improves the balance of gut bacteria.
– The Artichoke leaves have diuretic properties.
– It helps the function of the gallbladder and relieve gastrointestinal problems. Artichoke alleviates constipation, diarrhea and indigestion.
– Artichoke also lower cholesterol and high blood sugar levels.
– It is used as part of diets aimed at losing weight.