Latin Name: Tussilago Farfara
Tussilago farfara – coltsfoot or Hamolefki, is a herbaceous, perennial plant with yellow flowers that look like small daisies. It is said to have been used in the ancient days of Greece and Rome to relieve bronchial congestion and all types of respiratory problems.
The nutritional constituents of Coltsfoot are rich and varied. It contains mucilage, tannin, the alkaloid pyrolizidine, and saponins. It is known for its ability as an expectorant, diuretic, anti-spasmodic, demulcent, anti-tussive, astringent, emollient, anti-inflammatory and anti-catarrhal.
Health Benefits of Coltsfoot include:
– Coltsfoot is a first-class expectorant. Its name presupposes its antitussive property, while it is also used as an emollient for sore throats. It is very effective for patients suffering from diseases such as laryngitis, bronchitis, sore throat and asthma, as well as for respiratory diseases such as chronic emphysema.Also coltsfoot is your best nicotine substitute herb.
– Coltsfoot is most commonly used to reduce inflammation. But the antioxidant properties of Coltsfoot work wonders on the skin too. It helps condition the skin, safeguards against microbial function and makes the skin look younger.
– At the same time, coltsfoot helps in the treatment of cystitis and urinary tract infection due to its diuretic property. It relieves the stinging that a patient with cystitis may feel, since its diuretic effect is immediate.
– Equally important is its healing and anti – bacterial action, as it helps heal wounds, purulent ulcers and joint pain.
– Cough is also given to women who suffer from dysmenorrhea due to the antispasmodic properties of the flavonoids and the essential oils it contains.
There are no reviews yet.