Latin Name : Laurus Nobilis
Origin Country: Turkey
- Bay leaves are a rich source of vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, manganese, calcium, potassium and magnesium. As such, regular inclusion of bay leaves in meals promotes general health and well-being.
- The leaves are known to provide protection against cardiovascular disease.
- Traditionally, bay leaves have been used to treat arthritis and other inflammatory conditions. The parthenolide present in bay leaves is an anti-inflammatory agent, according to ancient knowledge about the plant.
- Bay leaves are known to have anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Their antioxidant properties can help in conditions like diabetes, by enabling the body to process insulin efficiently.
- The leaves are used to treat stomach upsets and reduce the symptoms of digestive disorders. They contain enzymes that help to breakdown proteins and promote digestion of food.
- Some compounds present in bay leaves makes them an efficient herbal remedy for headaches. They have also proved to be useful in the treatment of migraines.