Latin Name : Melilotus Officinalis
Sweet Clover or Melilot is an erect, annual, freely branched plant of the Leguminosae family. It possesses a sugary aroma akin to vanilla because of coumarin, a substance enclosed by this herb. Therefore , we can prepare a pleasing tea with vanilla flavour by using the leaves and flowers of this herb.
Sweet Clover is also loaded with several vitamins and minerals. The following are some of the health benefits of Sweet Clover:
– Sweet clover is used to increase the loss of water from the body through the urine (as a diuretic).
– It is also used for varicose veins and to relieve symptoms of poor blood circulation (chronic venous insufficiency) including leg pain and heaviness, night cramps, itchiness, and fluid retention (edema).
– Sometimes it’s used along with regular medicines for treatment of blood clots in the veins.
– The herb forms an important part of many herbal ointments that are used to treat wounds and blunt injuries.
– Other uses include treatment of hemorrhoids and blockage of the lymphatic system.
– Sweet Clover is also used to treat minor sleep related issues and also to treat contusions, sprains and digestive problems.
– Distilled water obtained from the flowering tops is an effective treatment for conjunctivitis.