Latin Name : Stachys Officinalis
Betony is a plant. The parts that grow above the ground are dried and used to make medicine.
– Wood betony has sedative actions, which may contribute in alleviating stress and relaxing the mind.
– Wood betony may help to relieve asthma and respiratory infections like pneumonia and bronchitis.
– It is also used as a treatment for headaches. This has been attributed to glycosides, an important constituent of wood betony.
– As wood betony contains tannins, it displays astringent properties, making it ideal for the treatment of diarrhea. The astringency effect of wood betony absorbs fluids from the intestine, thereby helping to reduce bowel movement.
– Wood betony displays diuretic activity, which helps to increase urinary rate. This may help to eliminate toxins from the urinary system, in turn enhancing kidney function.
– Traditionally, usage of wood betony has been involved in treating menstrual problems. It may help to relieve discomfort associated with menstrual cramps.
– Wood betony is thought to remove impurities from the blood, which may contribute in improving the function of liver, gallbladder, and the spleen.